Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Personal laptop

Been through OCS? Pass along your secrets to success here.
Polaris9
ArmyOCS.com Member

Personal laptop

Postby Polaris9 Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:56 am

I've come across mixed opinions about this. For those of you who have graduated from OCS recently, is it in your best interest to bring your own laptop?

Thanks
nchopp
CPT and Moderator
CPT and Moderator

Postby nchopp Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:38 pm

My knowledge is a good ways from recent, but I would still definitely recommend bringing your own. The convenience factor is huge. Make sure you buy a CAC reader too. I have the below one and it's worked great for five years:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N3MM6W/re ... cac+reader
"Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility." Peter F. Drucker
Cgr61
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Cgr61 Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:48 pm

You will absolutely want to bring your own laptop. You can purchase internet to use while you're there. I think pretty much everybody had their own laptop when I was there.
Polaris9
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby Polaris9 Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:26 am

Sounds good, thanks.
YJrunner
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby YJrunner Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:49 pm

Yes, bring your own laptop. I don't know how it is for other companies, but I am currently in delta, and we were not able to connect to Internet unless we were in the classroom or in the computer lab. And even then, the classroom only had 6 working ports. If you have your personal laptop you can access wifi in your room through boingo, which is the internet provider. It is $30 per month for 3 devices, which means you can split the cost with your roommate and one other person. There were a lot of people in my class that did not have a personal laptop when they showed up and either bought one at the px or had theirs shipped from home. So to save the hassle just bring it in the first place.

Return to “Hints and Tips”