Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Branching Allocations for Class 001-18

Start: 23 Oct 2017 End: 31 Jan 2018
ordnance88
2LT
2LT

Branching Allocations for Class 001-18

Postby ordnance88 Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:19 pm

My class is the first that I've seen that started with 160 Candidates. After 8 weeks we have about 138 total with 95 active duty, here's our branch breakdown:
IN- 10
IN/SC- 3
IN/MI- 4
IN/AG- 1
IN/FI- 1
FA- 9
FA/SC- 1
FA/MI- 1
FA/AG- 1
AD- 3
CY- 2
AR- 5
AR/SC- 1
AR/MI- 1
AR/AG- 1
EN- 7
SC- 5
MP- 4
MI- 6
AG- 3
FI- 1
CM- 3
CM/SC- 1
CM/MI- 1
TC- 6
OD- 9
QM- 5
Thundercathooo
ArmyOCS.com Member

Re: Branching Allocations for Class 001-18

Postby Thundercathooo Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:52 pm

What were the reasons people weren't able to make it? 85% is still great.
ordnance88
2LT
2LT

Postby ordnance88 Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Alpha Co. this time around has been significantly stricter then previous cycles. We had a few drop from history but the main bulk has been from Land Nav. We lost 17 for that 1 event. We're the first company to do the first day on the IBOLC course. We lost a few at Sqd Stx as well, but that's not uncommon.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Why would you say Alpha is significantly stricter for losing people to land nav? That's an objective Go/No Go exercise and has historically had high attrition.
army101
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby army101 Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:44 pm

What are the reasons that people fail on the squad stx?
ordnance88
2LT
2LT

Postby ordnance88 Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Phantom-
Incorporating the long course and making us run it twice in 1 day was a lot. I was fine but many weren't prepared to walk in FLC and ACH through Red Diamond.
Many people were hit with no gos because they used their red light and weren't in the prone....yes I said it. Alpha only let Candidates use their red lense in the prone. If you were caught standing and still, you were a no go.
Other Candidates were taken off the course for talking to each other. I was under the assumption that cadre made their presence known and would tell you "keep it moving". But they were failing people on the spot. That is the standard but I heard other cycles werent as strict.
Ive been here and seen the last Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie class graduate. They had a total of 5 land nav no go's combined. We had 17. Its a consensus from previous classes that the third day retakes had an easier card, not our class.

Army 101- pm me. It's a bit to type and I know your headed through it soon but I dont want to confuse the general audience about Sqd Stx especially from an Alpha Co. perspective.
PhantomWarrior
Veteran

Postby PhantomWarrior Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:59 pm

Phantom-
Incorporating the long course and making us run it twice in 1 day was a lot. I was fine but many weren't prepared to walk in FLC and ACH through Red Diamond.
Many people were hit with no gos because they used their red light and weren't in the prone....yes I said it. Alpha only let Candidates use their red lense in the prone. If you were caught standing and still, you were a no go.
Other Candidates were taken off the course for talking to each other. I was under the assumption that cadre made their presence known and would tell you "keep it moving". But they were failing people on the spot. That is the standard but I heard other cycles werent as strict.
Ive been here and seen the last Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie class graduate. They had a total of 5 land nav no go's combined. We had 17. Its a consensus from previous classes that the third day retakes had an easier card, not our class.
Just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding here...
You ran land nav with helmet and gear on?
What is this about red light and prone only? Were you supposed to be breaking brush and looking for your point in the dark? Why didn't people wait until after sunup to do most of their searching?
At what level were these decisions made? Company, battalion, etc.
simmons22
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby simmons22 Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:54 am

Hi,

For the land navigation, which grid coordinates did you have to use? (4,6,8) or did you have to use a combination of all three?
ordnance88
2LT
2LT

Postby ordnance88 Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:01 am

Sir, we were in ACH, FLC, and Camo face paint the entire time out there. That was per the BC. "Training needs to be more realistic". Now the red light disciple was from the Company Commander. We still had 2 hours of dark and 2 hours of light but whenever you turned on the red light, it was in the prone reviewing your map and coordinates. We couldn't "light house". Because of that many people did wait until the morning to break brush. Some were unsuccessful at getting a go for that reason.
I was one of 16 people to find 5 out of 5 on the long course on practice day. I ran majority of the time and still almost didn't make it. Two iterations of land a day was taxing for me and I felt prepared physically.

Simmons- An 8 digit grid gets you within 10 meters of your point. That's the only system we use in OCS. Try a 4 or 6 and you'll be unsuccessful.
caleb13g
ArmyOCS.com Member

Postby caleb13g Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:50 am

I think it was actually 2 and a half to 3 hours of darkness and one hour of light rather than the two and two that cadre had previously mentioned.

Return to “Class 001-18”