Need Site Support?

Please contact the staff through the site's Contact Us form.

Accompanied Orders/Liberty

Questions about class dates, reporting procedures, and other miscellaneous issues.
piacenzaj
ArmyOCS.com Member

Accompanied Orders/Liberty

Postby piacenzaj Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:22 pm

Hello All,

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am inquiring because I have a spouse who will be attending OCS and has received "accompanied orders". This info was passed over a very brief conversation (shes still in Basic) and not much has followed it. I have some questions about what that means.

I served in the Marine Corps for 4 years and have a pretty solid understanding, but this is a new branch with totally different rules. I am curious as to what it means to be accompanied, as well as if it is worthwhile being in the local area if my wife isnt going to be receiving liberty(or whatever the Army calls it...haha). The JTR doesnt specify about this situation at all. From my gathering, a HHG move or ditty move isnt possible either meaning its on our dime to move. My understanding from reading around was she can be granted passes on occassion but is there a specific schedule to free time? I understand that 90+% of her time will be dedicated to training but I am not completely sure what the guidance is here. I have looked around but have been stumped. Any help here would be awesome.

Thanks

-Confused Marine Husband
ncmilano
Army Officer

Re: Accompanied Orders/Liberty

Postby ncmilano Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:15 am

I am sure things have changed since I went however this is what I remember. First six weeks on post pass on the weekends. 2nd phase off post pass for the day. I don't see her sleep over with you during OCS. You might be able to stop by the company area at nights. Hope someone with recent experience can help. From a big army perspective, they want her to train and not get hurt, or have outside issues alter her performance.
35FUSAR
1LT
1LT

Postby 35FUSAR Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm

I can't speak to OCS, but when she gets to BOLC it will be a lot easier, and you two can stay together.

As a reservist I didn't get accompanying orders, but my spouse and I had our son born during BOLC. Her employer insurance is superior so we used that route for his birth.

What I'm getting at is I was able to search for and rent an off post apartment (on the weekends) and set her and the German Shepherd up in it and bring her out there. Then I was able to go to and from the apartment to BOLC and still keep all the balls in the air until he was born two weeks before graduation.

Were it not for the dog, I could have kept them in the hotel with me during BOLC.

From my perspective you are GOLDEN with accompanying orders.

It shouldn't be that hard.
The_Maam
CPT
CPT

Postby The_Maam Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:54 am

I am surprised that they gave her accompanied orders to OCS unless your spouse will be in Ft Benning for 6 months or over. During my time, the only Officer Candidates that have their spouse in Ft Benning were in-service assigned there prior to their class date. They were not able to go home, but they can request weekend pass for case to case basis with the discretion of the commander. The family members were not allowed to visit the company area but they are highly encouraged to attend the Family Readiness Group events (volunteer opportunity with the local community, social mixer, etc.)

Return to “General Questions & Comments”